The Republic of Korea (ROK) on October 28 offered to hold working-level talks with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to discuss issues on the DPRK's scenic resort of Mount Kumgang.

 

 

Mount Kumgang is the first major inter-Korean cooperation project, and thousands of ROKoreans visited the Seoul-funded resort between 1998 and 2008.

Seoul's Unification Ministry spokesman Lee Sang-min told in a press briefing that the government and Hyundai Asan Corp., which participated in the inter-Korean tour project, sent notices earlier in the day to the DPRK's counterparts through the inter-Korean liaison office in the DPRK's border town of Kaesong.

With the notices, the ROK side proposed working-level talks with the DPRK to discuss issues on the halted tour by ROKoreans to the Mount Kumgang resort, including the issues raised by the DPRK side.

Through the notice delivered to ROK on October 25, the DPRK offered to discuss the removal of ROK-built facilities in Mount Kumgang using the exchange of letters, not face-to-face talks.

The DPRK said in the notice that it would build and launch its own tour project in Mount Kumgang.

The tour by ROKoreans to Mount Kumgang, launched in 1998, has been suspended since a ROK female tourist was shot dead in 2008 by a DPRK soldier after allegedly venturing into off-limit areas.

The DPRK's official newspaper Rodong Sinmun reported on October 23 that the Chairman of DPRK Kim Jong Un said he would welcome the ROK compatriots at any time if they want to come to Mount Kumgang.

Kim ordered the removal of ROK-built facilities in Mount Kumgang in an agreement with the relevant unit of the ROK side.

                                                                    Source: NDO


Related Topics


Eurozone struggles to properly respond to “economic shock” amid COVID-19 fears

A recent comment by Dutch Finance Minister Wopke Hoekstra - "We are driving through the mist and we don’t know what the next phase looks like” - might cause confusion but it accurately reflects the reality of economies in the Eurozone. Recognising the imminent risk, the only monetary union in the world has yet to agree on measures to respond to the "economic shock” caused by the COVID-19 epidemic.

World News in Brief: March 25

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has asked leaders of the Group of 20 (G20) to help launch a stimulus package in the trillions of dollars to keep businesses, workers and households afloat in face of the coronavirus. By the end of this year, the cost of this pandemic is likely to be measured in the trillions of dollars, Guterres told G20 leaders in a letter dated March 23.

European nations strive to combat COVID-19 with raft of further measures as Merkel put in quarantine

With surging confirmed COVID-19 cases, European nations adopted a raft of further measures on Sunday (March 22) to peg back the contagion, as German Chancellor Angela Merkel has put herself in quarantine after a doctor she met Friday tested positive.

Coronavirus cases top 100,000 in Europe, more measures expected

Over 100,000 people across Europe had tested positive for the novel coronavirus as of Thursday (March 19) evening, prompting European governments to unleash more anti-virus measures.

Italy records high coronavirus death, cure totals as officials search for more doctors

Numbers for both new deaths and new cures from Italy's coronavirus outbreak released Wednesday (March 18) are the highest on record, as health officials scramble to find enough doctors to confront the outbreak's spread.

World News in Brief: March 18

The World Bank has earmarked a US$100-million fast-track loan to help the Philippines fight COVID-19, the Philippine Department of Finance said. The Philippines now has 193 confirmed coronavirus cases, including 14 deaths. Four patients have recovered from the viral disease.