US President Donald Trump said on Sunday (October 27) the Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had been killed in a US military operation in Syria.

US President Trump says a ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has died in a US-led raid in Syria.

Speaking in the White House, Trump said US Special Operations Forces conducted a raid Saturday night targeting al-Baghdadi in northwest Syria, during which al-Baghdadi killed himself by igniting a suicide vest.

"Last night, the United States brought the world's number one terrorist leader to justice. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead," he said.

The death of al-Baghdadi demonstrates the US commitment to "the enduring and total defeat of ISIS (the IS) and other terrorist organizations," Trump added.

Al-Baghdadi, 48, whose real name was Ibrahim Awad al-Badri, announced the establishment of a caliphate, or the so-called Islamic State, in June 2014.

In 2016, the US Department of State offered a reward of up to US$25 million for information leading to his capture or death.

Citing defense officials, multiple US media reported that the operation leading to the death of al-Baghdadi was carried out in Idlib in northwestern Syria.

Trump said the US military used eight helicopters in the operation and no US personnel were killed, calling it a great success.

"We were in the compound for approximately two hours, and after the mission was accomplished we took highly sensitive material and information from the raid," Trump noted.

In his remarks, Trump also expressed his gratitude to Russia, Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Syrian Kurds, saying the mission could only have taken place with the help of other nations and people.

Over the years, al-Baghdadi has been reported multiple times to have been killed, but none of the reports has been confirmed. In 2017, Russia claimed to have killed him in airstrikes during a meeting of IS leaders outside Raqqa, Syria, in late May that year.

                                                                           Source: NDO


Related Topics


Eurozone struggles to properly respond to “economic shock” amid COVID-19 fears

A recent comment by Dutch Finance Minister Wopke Hoekstra - "We are driving through the mist and we don’t know what the next phase looks like” - might cause confusion but it accurately reflects the reality of economies in the Eurozone. Recognising the imminent risk, the only monetary union in the world has yet to agree on measures to respond to the "economic shock” caused by the COVID-19 epidemic.

World News in Brief: March 25

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has asked leaders of the Group of 20 (G20) to help launch a stimulus package in the trillions of dollars to keep businesses, workers and households afloat in face of the coronavirus. By the end of this year, the cost of this pandemic is likely to be measured in the trillions of dollars, Guterres told G20 leaders in a letter dated March 23.

European nations strive to combat COVID-19 with raft of further measures as Merkel put in quarantine

With surging confirmed COVID-19 cases, European nations adopted a raft of further measures on Sunday (March 22) to peg back the contagion, as German Chancellor Angela Merkel has put herself in quarantine after a doctor she met Friday tested positive.

Coronavirus cases top 100,000 in Europe, more measures expected

Over 100,000 people across Europe had tested positive for the novel coronavirus as of Thursday (March 19) evening, prompting European governments to unleash more anti-virus measures.

Italy records high coronavirus death, cure totals as officials search for more doctors

Numbers for both new deaths and new cures from Italy's coronavirus outbreak released Wednesday (March 18) are the highest on record, as health officials scramble to find enough doctors to confront the outbreak's spread.

World News in Brief: March 18

The World Bank has earmarked a US$100-million fast-track loan to help the Philippines fight COVID-19, the Philippine Department of Finance said. The Philippines now has 193 confirmed coronavirus cases, including 14 deaths. Four patients have recovered from the viral disease.