At least five members of a family in northern Mexico, including two infants, were killed on November 4 in an attack by unknown gunmen, a government source and local media said, in the latest case of grisly violence to hit the country.


                                                                 Source: Asian Age Online.

Mexican media reported that the victims belonged to the LeBaron family, associated with a break-away Mormon community that settled in northern Mexico decades ago, and that the dead as well as additional missing family members may all be US citizens.

The governments of Chihuahua and Sonora states, both of which border the United States, issued a brief, joint statement late on November 4 saying an investigation into the incident had been launched and that some people were presumed dead and others missing.

The statement, which noted that additional federal and local security forces were being sent into the area near the border between the two Mexican states, did not provide further details.

Local television showed images of a burnt out vehicle that may have belonged to the family, and local activist and family member Julian LeBaron was quoted as describing the incident as a "massacre," adding that some family members were burnt alive.

The press office of the US embassy in Mexico did not immediately respond to request for more information after hours.

The US Ambassador to Mexico, Christopher Landau, traveled to Sonora earlier on November 4 for work meetings, he posted on Twitter.

 

                                                                               Source: NDO

Related Topics


Eurozone struggles to properly respond to “economic shock” amid COVID-19 fears

A recent comment by Dutch Finance Minister Wopke Hoekstra - "We are driving through the mist and we don’t know what the next phase looks like” - might cause confusion but it accurately reflects the reality of economies in the Eurozone. Recognising the imminent risk, the only monetary union in the world has yet to agree on measures to respond to the "economic shock” caused by the COVID-19 epidemic.

World News in Brief: March 25

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has asked leaders of the Group of 20 (G20) to help launch a stimulus package in the trillions of dollars to keep businesses, workers and households afloat in face of the coronavirus. By the end of this year, the cost of this pandemic is likely to be measured in the trillions of dollars, Guterres told G20 leaders in a letter dated March 23.

European nations strive to combat COVID-19 with raft of further measures as Merkel put in quarantine

With surging confirmed COVID-19 cases, European nations adopted a raft of further measures on Sunday (March 22) to peg back the contagion, as German Chancellor Angela Merkel has put herself in quarantine after a doctor she met Friday tested positive.

Coronavirus cases top 100,000 in Europe, more measures expected

Over 100,000 people across Europe had tested positive for the novel coronavirus as of Thursday (March 19) evening, prompting European governments to unleash more anti-virus measures.

Italy records high coronavirus death, cure totals as officials search for more doctors

Numbers for both new deaths and new cures from Italy's coronavirus outbreak released Wednesday (March 18) are the highest on record, as health officials scramble to find enough doctors to confront the outbreak's spread.

World News in Brief: March 18

The World Bank has earmarked a US$100-million fast-track loan to help the Philippines fight COVID-19, the Philippine Department of Finance said. The Philippines now has 193 confirmed coronavirus cases, including 14 deaths. Four patients have recovered from the viral disease.