Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military to prepare to deploy aircraft and ships to evacuate thousands of Philippine workers in Iraq and Iran in case violence breaks out following US airstrike at Baghdad International Airport last week.


President Duterte chairs a meeting with senior officials on January 5. (Photo: AP)

 Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military to prepare to deploy aircraft and ships to evacuate thousands of Philippine workers in Iraq and Iran in case violence breaks out following US airstrike at Baghdad International Airport last week.

Senator Christopher Lawrence Go said that President Duterte chaired a meeting with senior officials on January 5, during which he asked the Armed Forces of the Philippines to be prepared to deploy military assets to repatriate Filipinos in the Middle East, particularly from Iran and Iraq at any moment’s notice.

According to military chief of staff Lieutenant General Felimon Santos Jr. said Philippine forces have identified possible evacuation routes not only in Iraq and Iran but other hotspots like Israel.

The Philippines is a leading source of labour worldwide with about a tenth of its more than 100 million people working mostly as household help, construction workers and seamen.

There are more than 7,000 Philippine workers and their dependents in Iraq and Iran, including many who work in the US and other foreign facilities and commercial establishments in Baghdad, the Department of National Defence said.

The workers in Iran and Iraq are a small fraction of the hundreds of thousands of Filipinos who are employed in countries lining the Persian Gulf.

like the Philippines, other countries have taken measures to bring their workers home. Asians make up 40 percent of the world's migrants, and Middle Eastern countries are a common destination.

Tensions have risen in the Middle East after a US airstrike killed Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani. Iran has announced revenge for its military official while US President Donald Trump warned the US is targeting 52 Iranian sites if Iran attacks Americans or US assets./.

                                      Source: VNA

Related Topics


Vietnam presents medical equipment to Venezuela

The Embassy of Vietnam in Venezuela on August 27 handed over medical equipment to the host country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, along with 20,000 face masks from the Vietnamese National Assembly to the Venezuelan counterpart.

World News in Brief: August 22

The World Health Organization hopes the coronavirus pandemic will be shorter than the 1918 Spanish flu and last less than two years, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday (August 21), if the world unites and succeeds in finding a vaccine. Tedros urged "national unity" and "global solidarity". 

US COVID-19 cases surpass 5.4 mln: Johns Hopkins University

The total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States surpassed 5.4 million on August 16, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.

Putin, Macron discuss situation in Lebanon, Ukraine by phone

Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron held a phone conversation on Wednesday (August 12), discussing the situation in Lebanon, Ukraine and Belarus, the Kremlin said in a statement.

Sinovac launches late-stage trial for potential COVID-19 vaccine in Indonesia

China's Sinovac Biotech Ltd launched on Tuesday (August 11) a late-stage human trial involving as many as 1,620 patients in Indonesia for a COVID-19 vaccine candidate that it is developing with Indonesian state-owned peer Bio Farma.

World News in Brief: August 10

More than 19.86 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 728,534 have died, according to a Reuters tally. Infections have been reported in more than 210 countries and territories since the first cases were identified in China in December 2019.